Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Adventures of Being A Guest Teacher

I have been a substitute teacher since I graduated from Grand Valley State University in December. I have endured many many adventures! Most of my teaching experience has been spent at Oakridge Lower Elementary where I did my Student Teaching. Today I taught 2nd grade at OLE and I just have to say they were my best class yet! Way to go, Mrs. DeWeerd!! Props for having such a wonderful group of students! :) Of course, my other favorite class is Miss DeLora's. I can't help that I favor these 1st graders. I spent 3 1/2 months with them and I'm excited to teach them tomorrow!

My hardest day of substitute teaching was last week. The students were fun and very energetic, but it was just too much for my liking. Who knew that a group of 2nd graders could have me worn down by the end of the day.

I also taught in a middle school for the first time last week. I was nervous and exciting at the same time. I am certified to teach a Language Arts class in a middle school setting, so I figured I would give it a try as a substitute. I taught a group of 7th grade Language Arts students at Mona Shores Middle School and I had an awesome time. It felt really nice using my degree!! It made me feel very successful and like a real grown up!

Pray that all of my substitute teaching will lead to a real job!! I'm really hoping to get into Oakridge since I know pretty much every teacher and how their school system works. I also would love to work at Fruitport (what can I say? It's home to me!) or Mona Shores (my second home, as it's where my fiance went to school).

Wish me luck in my future substitute teaching endeavors. I know I will survive and LOVE every minute of it! Who knew I would love teaching this much?! :)

No comments: